Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Proof that it's a guy thing...

Tonight as we were getting ready for bed there was an "incident" with Jacob that as a parent I felt needed to be discussed.  (i.e. If you kick people in the neck or shoulder when they tickle you, don't expect to be included in the next round of tickling...)  The discussion ended up being a half an hour lesson on how we can appropriately communicate our feelings with our family members. I was feeling quite proud of my parenting skills, that I had taken a moment that could have ended with frustration, yelling and hurt feelings, and turned it into a teaching moment that would start my son on the path to being more in touch with his emotions and better able to express them.

 At the end of our talk I cradled his head in my lap and said, "Jake, I love you more than anything. And even when you make a wrong choice I never stop being proud to be your Mom."  He heaved a heartfelt sigh and said, "I just wish I had never brought this up."  Feeling concerned that he was still upset I asked, "Why honey?"  He looked in my eyes and replied, "Because then I would be sleeping already."

4 comments:

Emilie said...

I love that kids can talk.

Lawson Family said...

He has picked on that quite quickly, how very funny!

Natalie said...

Oh boy... :)

Sarah said...

Kyle laughed out loud because he really, really relates.