Monday, December 29, 2008

Aprons, my new passion...


Santa Claus brought Evie this cute new kitchen for Christmas and I decided she needed a cute apron to go with it. I found a free apron pattern online, if you are interested click here. While I was looking through all the patterns, I found one that I am going to make for myself, and I found a great story about how an apron is the homemaker's uniform. This is a concept that really spoke to me as a stay-at-home mom. You know, a symbol that is immediately recognized with respect as someone with a serious job to do. A doctor in scrubs and white coat, a judge in a black robe, a policeman or fireman in their uniforms. And a wife and mother in an apron, that says "I am busy raising these children to be civilized, productive members of society and providing the services of maid, nanny, cook, housekeeper, taxi-driver, gardener, and shrink to my family". As she says in her story, "The Keeper of the House, with a capital K!" I think having a uniform will help me be better at my job too, not letting the dishes and laundry pile up on me, get better at delegating and teaching my children about their responsibilities in this family. I suppose part of the reason this has been on my mind, is as my mom gets sicker and her time gets closer I feel like I have to grow up more and be prepared to be "the Mom". I won't be able to call her for advice or just to vent when my sweet little angels turn into hellions, and have her laugh at me for complaining that my children are doing to me what I did to her. Well, if anyone else wants to join my apron-as-a-uniform movement let me know, we'll have an apron sewing party.

6 comments:

Hay Dub said...

Oh I am so there!! Um I am gonna need a little help sewing, but I can sure pick out some cute material. haha. But I think I am going to leave the family shrink to Brett, we have paid too much money for his schooling for me to do it. Call me when you get a chance. Love ya
Hay

Sarah said...

How ironic! My sister-in-law just gave me a homemade apron for Christmas ...can I still be in the club if I didn't make my 'uniform' myself?

Chrissy said...

Absolutely Sarah. I think this is the kind of "uniform" that includes every kind and everyone, even an old dish towel tucked in the waistband... what kind of apron did you get?

Lawson Family said...

I love the apron and the statement about uniforms. It is so true and really puts into focus the importance of a Home Manager..as I like to call it!

Emily said...

I love the apron. I would love to learn how to make some for my little helpers. I love the pics of your cuties on the side too. They are darling!

Bianca said...

As you know I adore aprons too! I'm sad that I won't be able to come sew some with you. Thanks for your thoughts on being a mom...I loved reading them.