Thursday, January 8, 2009

5 years old and a conspiracy theorist...


I know that I have been very fortunate in that my children have all been very good eaters and willing to try new foods, but lately Jake has started to be more picky... sort of. He isn't really big on starches, usually doesn't like potatoes or bread too much. Yesterday we ate dinner at my parents house, roasted chicken, green beans and rolls. This was the conversation while dishing him up...

Me: "Do you want some green beans?" (and on a side note: why do we as parents ask these questions when the reality is, it is healthy and we are going to make them have a little bit whether they want it or not? hmmm...)
Jake: "I'll take the beans, but hold the green."
M: "Ummm, I can't really do that buddy. The beans are green, I can't take off the color."
J: "Well, just peel the outside off."
M: "That won't work. Here take a bite, see? The color goes all the way through."
J: "Ok, fine. I'll eat the green."
M: "Would you like a roll?"
J: "No, I don't really care for rolls."
M: "How come?"
J: (shaking his head) "It's a conspiracy."
M: "What is a conspiracy?"
J: "The rolls, they have a conspiracy to get me to eat them."
M: "Oh? To what end?"
J: "I don't know what their end goal is, they just really want me to eat them."
M: "Ok."
J: (sighs deeply and sounds resigned) "And I guess they have achieved their goal, because I will eat one tonight."

And he did. However today when I offered him a bagel I was informed that all bread products are part of the conspiracy. So, now you know. That is why carbs taste so darn good, it is a massive conspiracy of baked goods.

6 comments:

Dinee said...

Well carbs have won me over so I've lost to the conspiracy. Where on earth does Jake come up with these things? Give me a call. We have our same number.

Emily said...

Okay that is the funniest thing I have heard. I think Chocolate is in on it too.

Elena Loo said...

He kills me. A 5 year old usually doesn't even know how to say conspiracy, let alone know what it means and use it in a sentence. The little Einstein just makes me laugh.

Sarah said...

LOL...for five minutes :)

April Weeks said...

This is so fun to read these posts. I get a big kick out of them.

Megs said...

He is hysterical! What a little jokester you have on your hands.