Monday, January 26, 2009

Randomness at Wal-mart


We went grocery shopping Saturday night. As you might guess, with 3 small children and a husband who can't walk very well, it takes quite awhile for us to accomplish this. Brian burned through two motorized cart batteries and then ended up walking with a regular cart for the last 20 minutes. (We entered the store at 7:30 and left at 10:15.) As I turned down the aisle of paper products we came upon a pyramid of paper towels completely blocking the aisle. Jake and Evie thought that was so cool and a total photo opportunity. (Since I don't normally take a camera along to grocery shop, we had to settle for the camera in my phone which isn't great quality.) But I found it quite funny too, that someone had built this monument to disposable absorbency. As I took the snapshot of my kids in front of the pyramid a Wal-mart worker came around the corner, took one look at it and then snapped at me, "What the H*** is this?!" I responded mildly, "I don't know, we came down the aisle and found these all stacked up..." But inside I am thinking, "That's right, a mom with three babies in their jammies and two cartloads of groceries is going to take the time at nine o'clock at night to build a paper towel pyramid." Lucky for her my sense of the ridiculous was stronger than my outrage at being falsely accused. (Actually, I kind of secretly wish I had the time and creativity to be that spontaneous and crazy sometimes.) I think the silliest thing I've ever done in a grocery store is singing cereal jingles with Haylee. What about you all, what is the craziest thing you've done in a grocery store? (And please remember, this is a family site... keep it clean!)

4 comments:

Elena Loo said...

I used to work in a grocery store.. many fun times to be had. One that sticks out was one day I was helping clean the back part of the deli. Grease had spilled out from the fryers, so we went shoe sliding all the way down the hallway. I'm sure I have many more funny moments, but my brain is a little slow this morning from a 1 am feeding :)

Elizabeth said...

HA! "monument to disposable absorbency." Hilarious. I usually dance in the grocery store. . . a lot, actually. Always have, and always will. Just ask my mom and Spencer. How could you not dance with all the big open isles and great elevator music? Sometimes it is interpretive, and sometimes it is tap, it just depends on my mood and shoes.

Lawson Family said...

I think my most crazyiest store times happened in college. One I have great memories of were with a bunch of freinds playing a board game throughout Wal-Mart. I can't remembe what game it was, Pictionary I think, so once the round was finished we would move to shoe section, or produce, or whatever! Good times!

Hay Dub said...

Ha ha! Oh the cereal jingles! Um I would have to say the craziest thing I have ever done is bowling. I was in high school, and a few of us put on bathrobes and other crazy garb and headed to the supermarket. Then we set up paper towels and went slinding down the aisle on our bathrobes knocking down "pins" We were lucky enought to hurry out of the store before we were asked to leave;)