Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Update on my mom

Things aren't really good right now. Up until yesterday Mom had been holding steady as far as pain and that all went, but the tumors are growing and the end is coming. She was having horrible bouts of pain that the drugs weren't controlling very well, to the point where she was begging Heavenly Father for release. She compared dying to labor once, and that is exactly what it sounded and looked like last night, only the labor pains aren't going to stop. The hospice nurse came this morning and they have started the drugs on a I.V. so that she won't have the pain anymore. The result of this decision, we have been told, is that soon she will be comatose until her body is ready to give up its fight. What a blessing it has been for all of us to have these last two months where she has been able to talk and laugh and be with us. It will be hard for her to be here and yet not be here. I wish that I could put into words all the beautiful experience that we have been able to share with family and friends, but I am not equal to that task right now. If you have a box of Kleenex then click here to go to my Uncle Kevin's blog and read a beautiful story of their trip to San Fransisco last November. And please know how much my mom loves all of you, my friends and family. She is still Kim, even if a slightly fuzzy version of herself. She is still directing people from her bed, making sure everyone is getting enough to eat and drink, asking if the garbage cans were set to the curb, organizing where her book group will meet tonight... taking care of everyone else between bouts of nausea and telling us she is hanging on until the 29th because then her funeral will be completely paid for. I love her so much. I hope that I will be able to be the same kind of wife, mother, sister, daughter and friend that she has set such an example for me. While we were waiting for Lila to be born, Mom would hold Huck and say, "Angels come and angels go..." and angels are all around us right now. Heavenly and earthly varieties. Thank you to Paula and Sandra and Susan, and all the sweet women who have come in and taken care of my mom and my family. Your love and sensitivity and selfless service have been truly been a blessing to us.

7 comments:

Mandy said...

That picture is so precious.

April Weeks said...

What a beautiful picture. It takes my breath away.

Emilie said...

Hey, where's my comment I posted earlier?

Weird.

Anyway,

HUGE, HUGE hugs to you. I wish I could magically come up with some word that would lift you and carry you through this time. But it would be nothing new.

Thank goodness for the knowledge of the gospel.

Oh, I will add, I think you are well on your way to becoming just as magnificent a women as your mom is.

The Walkers said...

Thanks for sharing. I have been hearing updates from my mom, and I'm sorry that the other night was terrible for everyone. Thanks for letting my mom be a part of everything. I think it has helped her to stay involved and busy. What a great picture of your mom with her grandkids. I love the picture of your chocolate baby. She's adorable!

Jen said...

I know this time has been very hard for you and your family, but know that we all love your mom very much and are very proud to have her be part of our lives.

Email me so I can get you added to my blog list.
jenwilcox@cc.usu.edu.

Hay Dub said...

That picture is priceless. I am so glad that you have had this time with your mommy! She is an amazing women who has touched my life and so many many others. Chrissy you are an amazing person and I am grateful for the role you and your family pray in my life. Thank you! We will contiue to keep you and your family in our prays. Love you!

Shawn Telford said...

What a beautiful, perfect picture Chrissy. Your mom is an inspiration to so many. I have always admired the amazing bond that your family shares. You will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers.
Jalayne