Monday, September 6, 2010

The Great Homemade Marshmallow Fiasco...

Last Thursday was time for another cooking lesson from the Great-One.  She suggested that it might be fun to make homemade marshmallows. My kids love marshmallows, so I agreed that it sounded like fun.  Grandma came over armed with a bag of coconut for us to toast and a recipe by Alton Brown.  I started pulling the other ingredients out of the cupboard only to realize that I didn't have either confectioner's sugar or light corn syrup.  Fortunately the grocery store is a thirty second drive from my house.  Unfortunately, I took a phone call on the way to the store, completely lost my train of thought, only bought the corn syrup and didn't realize it until I pulled back into my driveway.... fortunately the grocery store was still only thirty seconds away when I went back for the sugar. Grrr.

We boiled and toasted and mixed and coated a pan with cornstarch and confectioner's sugar and then we were ready to pour in the marshmallow mixture....




Yeah. I don't know if we didn't something wrong or if Alton Brown is just full of crap... but this recipe did NOT work! It came out so stiff we couldn't get it out of the bowl! Seemed to taste okay though...



Both of the older kids gave it a "thumbs up!"



...but that could just be because they couldn't pry their jaws open!


Lila watched the entire procedure rather dubiously from the kitchen counter, and she wasn't having any of it!


The finished product:  The World's Saddest Marshmallow

I told Grandma that next time we should just make sugar cookies the kids can cut out and frost...

0 comments: