Monday, March 2, 2009

I'm a Happy Hooker...

Okay, get your mind out of the gutter....

I checked this book out of the library last week. Since I already know how to crochet I got it for the patterns, but I ended up reading it from cover to cover one night when I picked it up to browse through the patterns. If you want to learn how to crochet this is an excellent book to walk you through the basics. If you already know how to crochet, it is hilariously written. As I was leafing through the front I started to laugh out loud as I recognized myself in the descriptions of obsessive crafters. Here are some terms you need to know to spot someone with this disorder:

"LYS: Local Yarn Store. The small independent shop in your area that carries an overwhelming number of yarns of different types of fibers, as well as knitting and crocheting supplies.

UFO: Unfinished Object. Many crocheters (or substitute any other craft here) have a good number of these, hanging in tote bags in the back corners of their closets or stuffed into baskets and shoved under the bed. Though they are a constant source of shame and anxiety, they are also a sign that you've crossed over the line from casual crocheter to truly obsessed.

WIP: Work in Progress. Similar to a UFO, in that it's unfinished, a WIP is a project that you're actively making progress on. While you might want to include your UFOs with your WIPs, anything that your hands haven't touched in more than six months can't fairly be considered to be "in progress." If you have to take it out of the bag because you can't remember what's in there, it doesn't count."

I have often referred to myself as an ADD crafter because I can't seem to be loyal to a project (unless it has to be finished by a certain time, i.e. my wedding dress...)
and flit from sewing to quilting to knitting to crochet to cross-stitch with reckless abandon. Now I know that I have crossed over from "casual to truly obsessed."

Now for a confession, I have over 10 afghans in various states of completion, some of which I know are just waiting until I can "frog" them, reclaim the yarn, and start over again on something completely different. Indeed, I have probably close to 15 totes filled to overflowing with fabrics, yarns, ribbons, laces, threads, and the assorted tools necessary to my hobbies. I was laughing with my dad and brother lately over my obsession and I thought it very sweet of Josh to call me an artist. Yes, I am fiber artist... I like the sound of that.

Once when Dinee and Tay were over watching a Jazz game, Taylor reached up and grabbed a knitted throw. As he was pulling it off the back of the couch, he suddenly stopped and looked at me and asked, "Is this finished and can I use it?" I had to laugh, because it was a fair question in my living room where there are never fewer than six WIPs at any one time. Well, I may not have two years worth of food storage but I am confidant that I can trade clothing and blankets for what we'll need. I could easily outfit a neighborhood for about two years with what I have stashed away... and JoAnn's is having a sale this week, hmmm....

I'll end this post with one of my favorite quotes:
Creative clutter is better than idle neatness. *

(*that makes me feel a little better about my obsession.)

4 comments:

Lawson Family said...

This describes my mother-in-law to a "T". She would love that quote!

Robert said...

You freaking crack me UP!

Uncle Robert from Denver

Bianca said...

love that quote!!

Dinee said...

Maybe we really should have had an intervention last weekend instead of dinner......