Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Weird Wednesday

Today I spent 45 minutes locked out of my house, with no phone and no shoes. Apparently I now have to put on shoes and grab both my keys and my phone before I go out to the garage to get something out of the freezer. That or just double check that I've actually unlocked the door handle as well as the dead bolt, just in case all three children follow me out and actually remember to shut the door behind themselves. It was a perfect storm I tell you, because my children NEVER shut the door. I ran to a neighbors to borrow a phone and ended up having to call Brian because his is the only number I actually have memorized. I think we'll have to have a family lesson where we all work on memorizing phone numbers we might need in an emergency. Brian called his mom, who came to the rescue. But the wait wasn't too bad, and instead of pizza we just had otter pops for lunch.

We spent the rest of the afternoon visiting my friend Myra and letting the kids have a play date. (Honestly it was more like a knitting date for the moms, but people look at me funny when I say we're going to a knitting date...) Jake was introduced to the game Risk by Myra's son and really enjoyed it. When I called to him that it was time to go he yelled back up the stairs, "Aw Mom, I was just about to conquer Australia!" I never thought when I signed up for this mothering gig I would ever use the phrase, "I'm sorry dear, you'll have to conquer Australia another day..."

Then it was a mad rush to get Jake back in time for Scouts where he got to go bowling. I asked him how he liked it and he said it was fun except for when he dropped the ball on his foot. But it was okay because he got to wear these really neat cushioned shoes. Yup, and they are fashionable too.

I fell asleep on the couch while the kids were watching a movie downstairs, and apparently I was talking in my sleep. Jake came up to ask if he could make a sandwich for him and the girls, I mumbled something that he took as a yes. Then while he was in the kitchen making some food I suddenly growled and yelled, "You kids are being SO naughty today!" and the poor kid thought he was in trouble! I apologized once I was fully awake and realized that I had freaked him out pretty good. And what good is a nap if you are dreaming about parenting the whole time? Not restful at all...

2 comments:

Ryan W said...

Jake discovered RISK? Oh no, that kid is going to be a holy terror at that game...

Natalie said...

I love reading about all your daily life adventures. And I agree with Ryan. :)