Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Did I really just say that?

Have you ever lain in bed at night and gone over the day in your head, replayed conversations where you didn't come out on top, wondered if the things you've said really came out of your mouth...

I feel like I spent all day yesterday fighting my children's natural ability to tune out anything that sounds remotely like my voice. Repeating myself over and over again. Looking back I feel like all I said all day long was, "Don't do that... stop that... quit it!..." In fact the following phrases actually came out of my mouth,

To Jake at Costco, where I always feel slightly ridiculous trying to push a cart that is taller than me with the car seat in it, while simultaneously trying to talk on the phone: "Will you get OUT of the meat freezer!"

To Evie at dinner: "Stop finger painting with the mashed potatoes!"

To them both in my drill sergeant voice: "SIT DOWN NOW!!!" (That one did get results, for about 10 seconds.)

To Lila in desperation: "Please stop crying, honey."

Whispered in their ears after they fell asleep: "Stop growing up..."

1 comments:

Elena Loo said...

That was really sweet. You have great kids, and you are SUCH a great mom!