Monday, February 16, 2009

We put the "fun" in funeral...

...Okay, okay, I know that sounds awful. But whatever else my mom was she was never average or boring, and she wanted her funeral to be a celebration. So it seems very appropriate that she would have her funeral on a holiday. She made every holiday a magic occasion, and she loved nothing better than an excuse to get everyone together and eat and talk and laugh. Everything went perfectly, everyone who gave a talk or preformed a musical number expressed a blend of sorrow at her passing and the hope and comfort that the knowledge of the gospel gives us. The hardest part of the day came for me at the graveside when my children finally realized that Mima was going into the ground. Evie was very concerned that grandma would get dirty when they buried her, and Jake just broke down crying. He was comforted when I told him that in the spring we would come back and have picnics "with" Mima, just like we used to.

After naps to recuperate emotionally and physically, we met up with some family and friends and went to dinner to celebrate Valentine's Day and Brian's 37th birthday.

Brian and his "Sweet Heart"

I'm not certain, but I think Jake liked his valentine present...

Josh and his lobster, "El Guapo"

It was a nice way to end this particular Valentine's day, good food, good company, lots of laughter and love. Mom, I will always remember what you said to me this last Christmas when I was having a hard time wanting to celebrate, "Go make some magic for your family." We will keep that spirit alive, and look for ways to make everyday an adventure.

7 comments:

Sandra and Brent said...

Hi Chrissy,
You are remarkable. I can't begin to tell you how much I enjoyed this post and how it lifted my heart to see you all smiling and celebrating. Thanks for sharing that. Love ya, Sandra

Emilie said...

Happy Birthday, Brian!!!

Chrissy, I can only imagine the magic your kids will get to experience because they have a mom like you who had the mom she had. (hmmmm a bit confusing but .......)

And who says there can't be fun at a funeral. Those are the best kinds!

Mandy said...

Sounds like the perfect funeral, and the perfect day just like she wanted!

Love you guys!

Dinee said...

Your mom's funeral was amazing. I absolutely loved the music she had chosen. I'm really glad you went and partied after with your family. Just the way she would have wanted you to spend Valentine's Day.

Hay Dub said...

Chrissy I feel so bad that we missed it and were out of town. We love you and your family so so much! The viewing is amazing and I loved all the pictures and the video. You are such a rock and I am proud you call me friend:)

Holy cow is the cutest dang picture of Evie and her daddy! I love your kids, they are the cutest!

Love ya
Haylee

Bianca said...

Chrissy - you are amazing....you and all your family. We love you guys!!

Susan said...

My NY family only puts the "fun" in dysfunctional. I think that's why I willingly joined yours when your mom invited me. And it has been such a blessing!!! I have something for you guys that will be perfect for those picnics this summer.