Thursday, August 20, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom

Last Friday, the 14th, would have been my mom's 51st birthday. It was also 6 months from the day of her funeral. My Dad decided that he would honor her memory by spending the day working in her garden. It was a nice day. Surreal to think that one year ago we were having a huge party to celebrate her milestone 50th, complete with the SWW swim the night before.

Here is Jake following in Mima's steps and gardening in a swimsuit. She would spend most of the summer puttering around outside in her swimsuit, crocs, garden gloves and floppy brimmed hat.


Dad and some of my mom's many friends and co-workers who came to help in the garden through out the day.


More friends enjoying some of the many great desserts everyone brought to share.


A summer party at my parents' house wouldn't be complete without swimming.


My dad with Paula and Sandra, just two of the women who performed "errands of angels" for our family over the past year.


Thank you everyone who was there to help us remember our mother and celebrate her life. The day was exactly what she would have wanted it to be. I love you Mom.

4 comments:

Lawson Family said...

I think that is a great way to honor her and remember her love of the garden. What a great memory!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday sweet sister. I miss you.

Emilie said...

Exactly what your mom would have wanted. Dirt under the finger nails, good food in the belly, and laughter in the air. A perfect tribute!

Hugs to you! Call me if you'd like to talk about your mom. I'd love to hear about her.

Sandra and Brent said...

A bittersweet day for you, Chrissy. I can't imagine how much you must miss her. I'm sure she enjoys looking in on you as you mother your own little ones. You're a great mom, Chrissy. You learned from one of the best. Love ya, Sandra