Saturday, February 12, 2011

F.P.M.N.

That's code around here for Family Popcorn Movie Night. It's one of our kids' favorite things to do. And with the new Netflix account I've been excited to share some old favorites with them. Tonight's selection was Cheaper by the Dozen. The classic, not the cheesy re-make with Steve Martin. I love old movies, especially the ones made in the 50's. It's so nice to sit down and watch a show with my children that has no profanity, no violence, and no inappropriate sex-scenes.


I remember watching this movie several times as a child, and really enjoying it.  I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly my children became engrossed with the story and characters.  Maybe a little to much though... 

I didn't remember that at the end of this version the father, who has scoffed at the family doctor's advice through the whole movie, dies because of a heart problem.  They don't show him dying or in pain, but there is a heart-rending scene where the eight year old son tells his older sister, "Oh Ann, our daddy is dead!"  I cried.  Poor Jacob fell completely apart. Brian came into to find out why Jacob was sobbing hysterically, I told him and then said, "Remind me NEVER to show him Where the Red Fern Grows."

1 comments:

Sandra and Brent said...

Mike and Erin do family popcorn movie night with their kids too! On Friday nights, Mike stops and gets Little Caesar's pizza on the way home from the hospital and they watch movies that they loved as kids, with their kids (and they eat popcorn too). Sorry about the dad dying at the end of the movie thing. I guess that's one advantage of the cheesy Hollywood remakes . . they have happy Hollywood endings!