Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Today. In a timeline...

Because I really don't know how else to explain today.

  • 3:30 am- Both daughters come in our room crying. Lila because she is coughing so hard she can hardly breathe. Evie because Lila is coughing so loud it woke her up.
  • 6:05 am- Wake up in a panic because I think that I've slept through the alarm.
  • 6:15 am- Wake up to the alarm and try to get dressed quietly in the dark so as not to wake up the children who are sprawled across a good 75% of our queen size bed. (Really, is it any wonder I have back problems?)
  • 6:30 am- Arrive at the gym, where I can't prove it but I strongly suspect they are trying to kill me one muscle group at a time.
  • 7:20 am- Arrive home eager for a hot shower and some Advil.
  • 8:00 am- Call in-laws to tell them Lila is sick and so we won't be bringing her up to be baby-sat.
  • 8:01 am- Call Dr's and schedule appointment for Lila.
  • 8:30 am- Realize we've all been rushing to get ready in vain as now we don't actually have to leave for another 10 minutes since Lila is staying home with Daddy.
  • 8:40 am- Drop Jake off at cross walk and watch him push the wrong button and not realize he could have pushed the right button and waited rather then crossing on the side where the crossing guard isn't.
  • 8:50 am- Drop Evie off at preschool.
  • 9:02 am- Arrive back at Jake's school 2 minutes late for my shift at the book fair.
  • 10:05 am- Get a call from Evie's preschool that she has just thrown up and please come get her asap.
  • 10:20 am- Arrive at the preschool at the same time as Caitlin and Patrick who a) were home and b) were beyond awesome to be willing to drop everything and bring a towel, a change of clothes and a bowl for Evie.  
  • 10:21 am- Collect a surprisingly calm Evie from her preschool teacher who couldn't stop praising how well we've trained her because she threw up in her hands and carried it to the bathroom instead of making a huge mess. (I know that is TMI, and I apologize, but it wouldn't be a mommy blog without a little real life disgusting-ness every now and then...) I was beyond surprised and wondered why she can't do the same thing at home?
  • 10:23 am- Caitlin and Patrick offer to take Evie back with them and take care of her while I take Lila to her Dr's appointment, thus earning my undying love and affection.
  • 10:30 am- Stop by the library to pick up my book club book which is on hold, so that I don't have to take any sick children with me.
  • 10:45 am- Arrive home so Brian can get ready and head into work.
  • 11:40 am- Dr's office, diagnosis of croup. That makes three times since November. I feel bad that Lila doesn't feel good, but I really want my happy, non-ornery baby back!
  • 12:20 pm- Back to pick up Evie, take the opportunity to feed Lila some Jello with the first dose of her medicine in it.
  • 12:40 pm- Lila throws up. (Sorry about that Dad. I did clean it up.)
  • 1:00 pm- Leave the girls with the ever awesome Caitlin and head back to pick up Jake from early out. And let him pick a book from the book fair, since I had to leave early and wasn't there during his first recess when we had originally arranged to have him pick one.
  • 1:45 pm- Leave the school and hike down the 27 front steps, or in my case hobble slowly. Jake asked me, "Why are you walking funny?" I told him, "Because I worked my legs really hard today and now they are tired." He thought about that for a moment and then said, "Hmm. That sounds like a grown-up problem."
  • 2 pm - 6 pm- Tried to keep the children from killing each other and destroying the house while moving as little as possible.
  • 6:30 pm- Made dinner and banana bread, which I can't have. Talk about a labor of love. (It's okay, I can have a piece tomorrow. And it will taste even better...)
  • 7:00 pm- Sat down to dinner and after a 10 minute fight discussion it was finally decided that it was Evie's turn to say the prayer. She did very well with only a small prompting from her Daddy to bless Lila to get better soon. She did so and then paused again, so Brian prompted her to finish the prayer. She paused and whispered back to him "Wait Dad, we didn't talk about me yet! I'm sick too you know."
  • 9:30 pm- Everyone is finally bathed, brushed and drugged in appropriate amounts, and safely tucked into bed. 
  • 10:14 pm- I realize that I have spent at least 20 minutes listing out my day and I could have just said, "It was long and I am very tired." and been soaking my poor abused legs in a hot bath. 
And the best part? I get to get up and do it all again tomorrow. Who says being a mom isn't a glamorous job?


Crazy Clarks said...

Chrissy thank you for the Birthday wish! I miss you guys sooo much. I read your blog everyday and I am in awe of all you do! You are amazing, and your an amazing mom! Being a mom is the hardest job in the world but the most rewardable job also. You handle everything with so much strength and guide your kids with love and comfort. Such a wonderful role model for them. I love reading about your discussions and lessons. You have a beautiful family! I love your family pics too! Josh is such a great photographer. Love ya and miss you. Your story with Evie and throwing up at school and why she can't do that at home made me laugh so hard. Grace was sick one day and kept throwing up all over the place. I grabbed a bucket and showed her by spitting in the bucket that when she is sick to throw up in that. She then got sick threw up all over the floor grabbed the bucket and spit in it. That was my mommy learning moment for the rest of my life!

Emilie said...

You are doing awesome! Yes, they are trying to kill us, but for our own good.

Sorry about the sick kiddos. I am impressed you even made it to the gym after a night like that.

April Weeks said...

Elizabeth said...

Wow. What a day! I sort of did this the other day in Preston's journal, and wished that it was something I had done once a year in my own. I think it is interesting and very telling to look back and see what a typical day in your life looks like. Do you read C. Jane? Your last statement reminded me of her most recent column for the D-news about how being a mom is like the movie Groundhog Day. So sorry for the sick little ones. That is no fun, I hope they are better soon!