Monday, March 28, 2011

I was right... this is going to be a problem.

Here are the three skeins of yarn I dyed today.


 I bought the matching two with a clear plan in mind. I knew what color I was hoping to achieve, and I knew exactly what I want to knit out of it.


It came out even better then I had envisioned. This started as a pale pink. I was hoping for a sort of sherbet-y orange with just a hint of the pink showing through here and there. Through a series of happy accidents I have this gorgeous blend of pinks, yellows, and orange, which I think will look even better than my original idea!


And then I didn't want to stop! So I went back to the yarn store and got a skein of light purple and then we hit it with green. It turned an awful green color, sort of like over cooked spinach. Bleech. So we hit it with some blue, which livened it up. And then we added some more purple which I love! It was fun because Myra and Jeanette each ended up with a skein that is basically the same colors, but they are all slightly different because of the color the yarn was when we started and the amounts of food coloring we added.

I wish I had thought to take my camera with me, and taken a picture of all the skeins we dyed today. The colors were so gorgeous all lined up in Jeanette's window to dry. I could hardly stand waiting for them to dry (which takes a day or two). I can't wait to see how they look when they are knit up!

I am telling you, this dying my own yarn thing is going to be dangerously addictive. It's like magic seeing how the different colors combine and blend together. (I may or may not have done a little happy dance in Jeanette's kitchen...) And since we used food coloring, kool-aid, and vinegar, it is very cost effective when compared to buying a skein of hand-painted yarn. Oh yes, this is definitely going to be a problem...

 And now for something completely different:


Brian was changing Lila into her PJs,


when she decided she could not wait one more second,


for a great big hug. 

It just melts my heart when she is so loving and wants to be "nuggled".
It makes up a little for the times when she is being just so terribly two...

5 comments:

Emilie said...

Ooooo! I can not wait to see what glorious things you do with that yarn. I fully expect that your hands will no longer be the "Traditional" shade of flesh color from now on.

April Weeks said...

Those look so cool, Chrissy. and the huggy thing warms my heart.

Natalie said...

I can't wait to see how they turn out!! Wish I could've been there to give it a try myself. :)

Lawson Family said...

What a fun thing and even more fun to do it with friends!

Lynae said...

That is awesome! Your creative energy is inspiring. And so is your gym commitment. Keep it up!