Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Learning the hard way...

That you can't put plastic bowls on a still warm burner.


Poor Jake, he has been trying so hard all day to be helpful. He wanted to make lunch and was very disappointed when I beat him to it. He begged me to let him make some dinner for himself and the girls, since he is really very responsible in the kitchen and loves to cook I agreed. I made him promise to read through all the instructions before he started and to come get me if there was any questions, then I made myself stop hovering and go sit in the other room. That's something I struggle with as a mother, stepping back and letting my children learn through trial and error sometimes.

He had no problems with the actual cooking, but then he forgot that the burner was still going to be hot for awhile even after you shut it off. I think he was really worried that I was going to be mad at him, but I was very calm and just used it as a teaching moment about how you have to continually pay attention in the kitchen. 


Besides I got these bowls at Walmart, four for a quarter. 
That means I'm out all of six cents.

P.S. Anyone know how to clean melted plastic off a stove?

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

Stove cleaner--let stand for 30 minutes. Go after it with a pampered chef scraper and some serious elbow grease. Took me about 4 rounds to get all of the plastic off. I also turned the oven on to self clean so that the plastic on the stove top would soften just a bit.

Good luck, Chrissy! So sorry! This happened to me back in October.

Caitlin said...

That's a bummer. Don't worry buddy, I once accidentally blew up a stoneware pan on the stove and melted part of the floor.

Dinee said...

I have no advice. Sorry! I've exploded 2 9x13 glass pans from leaving them on a hot burner. I'm curious, what did Jake make for dinner?

Amanda said...

I am guilty of trying to warm up hot fudge sauce straight from the fridge in a glass jar placed directly on the burner. I was probably about Jake's age, too. Turns out glass breaks when you do this. I love Jake's sad face--the perfect expression for the situation. Hope he doesn't give up on cooking.

Chrissy said...

Pasta-roni, I was just thinking how cool he was for not boiling over the pan when we noticed the melting bowl! ;)
He definitely won't give up on cooking, he plans on being a chef one day. Plus, as we can tell from the comments, he's in good company. Plenty of good cooks have off moments in the kitchen, that whole trial and error thing...